Marrickville Public School is committed to providing creative and innovative learning in a safe and respectful environment which values authentic engagement with our diverse community. Every student has the opportunity to achieve their personal best, inspiring them to influence their world in a positive and purposeful way.
Achieve, create and inspire
The school's motive is to 'celebrate the advantage of quality education in a happy multicultural and caring school community'. The school community works in partnership together to provide quality, equitable education in a supportive caring environment. The partnership between the school, the parents and the students promote mutual respect and share responsibility
At Marrickville Public School our history from 1864 to 2008 is as follows.
On August 1, 1864, an application was made for the establishment of a national school at Marrickville. The school leased a chapel for £6 a year from The Primitive Methodist Church for 55 students. It was too far from the nearest school at Newtown for the children to walk. Later that year it was decided to apply for the establishment of a public school.
Thomas Chalder (as in Chalder Street) offered One and one-quarter acres of land fronting Chapel St. The local community covered one-third of the cost of the new school building. When the school was completed, 138 pupils were enrolled. This was before compulsory education. There were about 800 people living in Marrickville. They were market gardeners, city merchants, soap and candle makers, brick makers, a carrier, one baker and a publican.
In 1878 the Department of Education bought the old Council Chambers next door to the school. In 1880 a new law stated that all children must attend school. Fees were imposed. There were numerous typhoid fever outbreaks from 1880s to 1900s. From 1894 to 1912 they ran evening school at Marrickville for older students. Students only had to come to school for 140 days (now students attend for 201 days a year).
1900 – new girls' school was erected.
1908 – boys (330), girls (330), and infant (394) departments.
1913 – junior technical and domestic science schools established.
World War I severely affected school especially as it created a teacher shortage. Class sizes increased – in 1917, two classes had 82, and 85 students each.
1919 – an influenza epidemic was so serious, it resulted in the temporary closing of the school as it was used as an emergency hospital.
In 1922 the old Town Hall in Illawarra Rd was bought for use as a Boys' Junior Technical College. School enrolment – 1,761.
1927 – new Boys' Primary building constructed.
1929 – Girls' Intermediate High School established.
1949 – junior technical section moved to Dulwich Hill. The Boys' Department moved to Illawarra Rd. The Girls' Intermediate High and Primary stayed on Chalder Street (D Block).
1954 – Girls' Junior High School established – moved in 1974.
1983 – the Boys' Department moves back to Chapel street.